Senate Inquiry into issues facing diaspora communities in Australia
Time: No time set
On 14 May 2020 the Senate referred the “issues facing diaspora communities in Australia” matter to the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee for inquiry and report by 26 November 2020.
The Committee is currently accepting submissions.
Submissions close 31 July 2020.
This a unique opportunity to inform and influence federal government decisions via the Senate Inquiry into issues facing diaspora communities in Australia.
The Terms of Reference for the Inquiry are:
Issues facing diaspora communities in Australia, with particular reference to:
- support offered to diaspora community associations and similar organisations, including government grants and other funding;
- safety concerns among diaspora communities, and means for strengthening the protection and resilience of vulnerable groups;
- barriers to the full participation of diaspora communities in Australia’s democratic and social institutions, and mechanisms for addressing these barriers;
- opportunities to strengthen communication and partnerships between government and diaspora communities in Australia; and
- any related matters
What we are doing
DAA will play its national peak role in ensuring diaspora communities are supported to participate in this important process. We will do this in 3 ways:
- Working with diaspora communities to develop a community informed DAA submission
- Working with diaspora communities to support them to develop their own submissions
- Working with diaspora communities to develop case studies to further demonstrate the role, value, impact and potential of diaspora led development and partnerships
How to participate
There are 3 ways to participate:
- DAA is hosting a series of online community meetings to hear from diaspora about their experiences, challenges, successes and support needs. The information will be used to developed an evidence-based and community informed submission.
- Work with DAA to develop your own submission. We are preparing information and documents that can help you develop your own submission.
- Help us develop community case study. Submissions have limited word count. Case studies will help to draw a clearer picture of the issues faced by diaspora communities in Australia.
Dates and Registration
1st – 19th June: Online community consultation
22nd June – 10th July: Work on community case studies – Click here to register your interest
22nd June – 21st July: Work with DAA on your own submission – Click here to register your interest
Please register your interest to develop a case study or community submission by Friday 10th July.
For more information or to provide your input into DAA submission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There has never been a better opportunity to work together to elevate the voice of diaspora, raise issues facing diaspora in Australia, and advocate for investment in diaspora led initiatives.